[mythtv-users] NACAT Software now available

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Feb 27 12:31:44 UTC 2008

On Feb 26, 2008, at 10:14 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> On 02/26/2008 10:32 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
>> Vmware is free, and you may have a derivative Windows license due to
>> purchasing a machine.
>
> Just make sure you read the license agreement that came with that
> derivative Windows license.  I am not a lawyer, but I have seen a /
> lot/
> of Microsoft's statements about how certain actions are in direct
> violation of certain license agreements they use...

Agreed. I know that the Vista license specifically prohibits running
in a virtual environment unless you have purchased the top-price
product for example. AFAIK there is no such restriction on XP.

Whether the license that came with a machine with Windows pre-
installed can be transferred to another machine or not is also open to
question.

It just bugs me to know I have payed for many Windows licenses I have
never used and will never use. Great marketing.

The copy I'm running under vmware was purchased as a standalone OS, so
I'm pretty sure I am legal. Like it or not M$ has a right to impose
whatever license they wish, my recourse is to not use it if I don't
like it.

Another reason to use Linux, the GPL is pretty straightforward.

beww