[mythtv-users] Perfect, Small, Quiet, Cheap, HD Frontend??

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 03:16:57 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 9:59 PM, Jarett Creason <nobleiceman at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 6:51 PM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
>
> > Sarah Hayes wrote:

> >  So,
> > all
> > >>
> > > Looks interesting, although from the form factor I doubt you could add
> > > PCI sound card to it for 5.1+ audio.  Assuming it'll boot from the
> > > optical drive (or flipped to do so in it's BIOS) you should be able to
> > > install whatever you wanted on it.
> > >

> > But for $499 it seems really pricy for what it is.  I have a flyer from
> > Dell for something that specs out similar, and comes with a 20" LCD for
> > $450.
> >
> > Newegg better offer a honking discount if this is to fly.
> >
> > --Yan
> >

> I agree, you can get cheaper faster hardware, but not this small... It
> looks like it's the size of a Mac Mini, although I'm having a hard time
> finding actual dimensions listed.  Also, I would only mean to use it as a
> frontend, and have all tuners in another box (or the closet where my HDHR
> sits).
>
> Jarett

I bought a refurb Mac Mini from Apple with a 1 year warranty for $499. It
comes with a 1.83 Core2Duo (A dual core Pentium is MUCH slower), a gig of
RAM, Intel GMA video and a DVD drive, not to mention a much higher resale
value when I go to sell it. Looks like the Everex doesn't have much to offer
other than the DVD-R/W drive, an 80GB HDD and a few little bells and
whistles. I think the Mac Mini's a much better deal IMHO.