[mythtv-users] Perfect, Small, Quiet, Cheap, HD Frontend??

Jarett Creason nobleiceman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 02:59:48 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 6:51 PM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:

> Sarah Hayes wrote:
> > Jarett Creason wrote:
> >
> >> Everex is going to sell these on NewEgg, supposedly, March 1st...  So,
> >> anyone have any input on whether this would play 1080i and 720p HD
> >> content?  It comes loaded with their gOS, but I assume, since it's all
> >> standard hardware, that one could easily load another distro of their
> >> choice on it??
> >>
> > Looks interesting, although from the form factor I doubt you could add a
> > PCI sound card to it for 5.1+ audio.  Assuming it'll boot from the
> > optical drive (or flipped to do so in it's BIOS) you should be able to
> > install whatever you wanted on it.
> >

> But for $499 it seems really pricy for what it is.  I have a flyer from
> Dell for something that specs out similar, and comes with a 20" LCD for
> $450.
>
> Newegg better offer a honking discount if this is to fly.
>
> --Yan

I agree, you can get cheaper faster hardware, but not this small... It looks
like it's the size of a Mac Mini, although I'm having a hard time finding
actual dimensions listed.  Also, I would only mean to use it as a frontend,
and have all tuners in another box (or the closet where my HDHR sits).

Jarett