[mythtv-users] Copy protection on analog broadcasts?

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 17:04:11 UTC 2008

Good Afternoon, All!

Has anyone else noticed strange errors when recording 'Lost" from analog
cable (In my case, Time Warner in Ithaca, NY)?

I notice a distinct problem when recording Lost and only when recording Lost
(I do not see any issues when recording other shows on the same channel with
the same tuners, or on other shows on other channels that I record while
Lost is on).  The issues I see include sound dropping out for a second or
so, rainbow colored interference that eventually becomes gray static, and
then goes away after a few seconds.  When I get the gray static, I get the
typical static sound you would get when there is no signal present on an
analog system (the classic "hiss" or "snow" or whatever you want to call
it).

I have 5 tuners in the same box, (2 PVR-500s, and a PVR-250) and I seem to
have the problem no matter what tuner I use.  At first, I thought it was a
problem with my setup, but after a few weeks, I've realized I ONLY see the
problem when recording Lost. I doubt it's a result of overuse of my system,
since the other recordings taking place at the same time do not show
issues.  I have stress tested my system and I do not seem to have trouble
recording 5 things at once, or watching 5 live streams simultaneously.

This has me starting to believe it's something caused by the cable company.
Has anyone else seen this problem?

- Josh