[mythtv-users] Theme shows no text

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Feb 26 15:25:03 UTC 2008

On Feb 26, 2008, at 7:15 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 9:05 AM, Brad DerManouelian
> <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>> On Feb 26, 2008, at 1:28 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>>
>>> Hi again
>>>
>>> On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 8:07 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com
>>>
>>> By editing the settings in mythweb, I've managed to revert to the
>>> first theme G.A.N.T
>>>
>>> However is problem happens when I select OpenGL as Paint Engine.
>>>
>>> I have just replaced my video card with a Nvidia 8600GT, you would
>>> expect that video card to support OpenGL (and indeed nvidia program
>>> shows OpenGL as available).
>>>
>>> Any ideas what I could do to get OpenGL working with mythtv ?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Jean-Yves
>>
>> It sounds like you don't have OpenGL working correctly. Are you using
>> the nvidia binary drivers or the nv open source drivers? Check your
>> xorg.conf file. If it says "nv", install the nvidia binary drivers.
>>

> I've run into a similar problem. The OpenGL rendering is working fine
> for the front end but when I use VNC (using Vino under Gnome) the text
> almost always is not displayed. I don't know if this has to do with
> the way things are "faded" in or not...

VNC does not support OpenGL. You need to use QT rendering if you're
using VNC.
I didn't read the initial post clearly enough. He says the nvidia
program shows OpenGL is available which means he is using the nvidia
binary driver. There's another issues with fonts that results in no
fonts being displayed.

A quick search of the archives tells me you might need to install the
Core fonts package.
http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/