[mythtv-users] MythVideo: UI suggestion

Robin Neatherway robthebob at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 15:11:46 UTC 2008

>  The normal "file browser" view is fine for general browsing. It could
>  stand to be spruced up a bit but it's perfectly functional. Although
>  some metadata driven navigation could be useful. Although this goes for
>  the recordings list too. A particular actor might show up in multiple
>  genres (in mythvideo) or multiple recording rules (in recordings). It
>  would be cool to resort based on that sort of thing.

This is the view that I use and there is one small change that I think
would improve the interface significantly here. I have received many
comments from both technical and non-technical users of the browser
that it is confusing when the selection moves from right to left
without the videos shown on screen changing. I think it would be best
if the selection remained on the right the entire time and the videos
shown moved around it. I had a dig around to this end and tracked it
down to the ManagedTreeList (or similar name) in the main myth source
code. I assume it behaves in this way because it was designed for the
Watch Recordings view and this is very sensible with only two columns.
It wasn't obvious to me how to alter this behaviour however. Any
pointers would be much appreciated even if this is something I
maintain in my own tree.

>  I think that "series" awareness in mythvideo would be a very useful
>  feature.

Agreed. Also something the OP mentioned is knowing which episode you
have watched - perhaps each video could simply have an extra field in
the DB noting when it was last viewed?

--
Robin