[mythtv-users] Nvidia + interlaced output success?

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 10:06:57 UTC 2008

On 26/02/2008, Phil Vid <phil.vid at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  So is anyone able to successfully use nvidia to cleanly play back
>  interlaced content using native interlaced output modes? I am close,
>  but not quite.
>
>  Here are the issues I'm facing for when I use either native interlaced
>  mode or the native progressive mode + deinterlacers:
>
>  Interlaced -
>  - The 'Use different resolutions' menu does not show any interlaced
>  resolutions, so I can't select a progressive resolution if I'm in
>  interlaced mode. Is this an xorg/xrandr thing?

The functionality doesn't currently exist within mythtv to
differentiate between interlaced and progressive modes.

>  - There appears to be a problem with field ordering at times. About
>  every 2nd video I play back gets the interlaced teeth artifacts, fast
>  forward or rewind can fix it to play normally.

This has been discussed a few times recently. The only guaranteed
solution is to use bobdeint to 'deinterlace' (although all it is
actually doing is presenting the fields sequentially). If bobdeint is
rejected because your refresh rate isn't high enough, then search for
the 'viktor bobdeint' patch either on the mailing list archives or
trac.

>  - In particular video content, there will be flickering of motion when
>  on a white/light background. So blue shirt moving over white clouds
>  will have a flickery blue trail. I saw this only with red or blue
>  colours, others seem fine.
>
>  Non Interlaced -
>  - Motion blur on fast motion using greedyhighmotion. Stationary
>  content is perfect.

I find yadif (2x) to be very good - I've been using to watch sports
for a month or so without issue.

Regards

Mark