[mythtv-users] SVN removal howto

Osma Ahvenlampi oa at iki.fi
Mon Feb 25 18:01:45 UTC 2008

On su, 2008-02-24 at 17:39 -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Yeah.  Every indication says the project is dead.  There's hardly any
> activity in Trac and I don't remember the last time I saw a message on
> the mailing lists.  Plus, most people have moved on to bigger/better
> media players, like Elisa and Linux MCE.

And that's the other turn-off, frankly. I understand and am used to the
attitude that "users don't matter, anyone who this program is meant for
is gonna be comfortable, nay, ecstatic about recompiling SVN on a
weekly, nay, daily, nay, hourly basis (as opposed to, say, recording or
watching something), and reading 500 messages per day on a mailing list
certainly oughtn't be an issue to anyone" -- and personally, I don't
care about that either. However, it's this attitude and the lack of
regular releases that will keep MythTV from ever being mainstream
software, though feature-wise it could easily fit the bill -- it is,
after all, significantly more functional than, say, Windows MCE.

And to this you'll respond "and we don't want to be mainstream if that
means users who can't keep up with the mailing list". That's fine. It's
just not the demonstrated route to REALLY high quality, polished and
"successful" software.

I've made this point before, and I'm not the only one to have done so. I
don't expect this to make any difference, but just in case it might, I
did want to yet again point out there is another way to do things. But
never mind...

I do wish to apologise for one thing in my mail from yesterday. After
realizing multirec is in, I did bite the bullet, build a new version,
back up everything, cancel a few recordings, talk my girlfriend into a
possible "no TV for a while" trial, and upgrade my backend to
0.21-fixes. Much to my delight, it did work without any regressions that
I would have noticed (*), and I haven't had to roll back -- 0.21 looks
like it might indeed be (much) better than I expected. Now to test
multirec...

*) well, LiveTV did crash the system, but I don't use LiveTV, so I
didn't try again. Might do so later.