[mythtv-users] Blu-Ray player? Myth capable?

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Feb 25 17:26:59 UTC 2008

> On Feb 25, 2008, at 9:53 AM, Mark Hutchinson wrote:
>>
>> Any one else have ideas?  Ways to convert etc....  I own these
>> movies, I
>> just want to see them in Myth.  I am even willing to convert in
>> Windows
>> to get this done first, then transfer.
>
> Actually you do not "own" those movies. You purchased a license to
> view them under circumstances specified in that license (you did read
> it, right?).

    That's just what the studios want you to think.

> Technically it is still illegal to view a conventional DVD under
> Linux, at least in the USA.

    The illegal part is distributing the player. More precisely, it's
distributing the "encryption cracking" part. Some DVDs don't have this
legal issue.

> I suspect a Linux Blu-Ray viewing solution will come along, but will
> still be a violation of the DMCA.
>
> I'm anything but an apologist for the MPAA, but that's what their
> position is, and so far the courts have backed them up.

    So when are they arresting the SlySoft guys?

    DVD Jon has a US company. He should also be an obvious target.

    Who's gotten sued or arrested for putting their DVDs on their ipod?