[mythtv-users] RANT: MythTV has a *horrible* end userexperience.

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Mon Feb 25 04:40:20 UTC 2008

Joe Borne wrote:
> The very fact that the OP has generated so much debate proves that the
> OP is right. I've said the same as him for the last 3 years and I've
> done a LOT of interface design. I personally put hundreds of hours
> into rewriting EVERY xml file in MythTV in order to create some
> semblance of order. Unfortunately much of the interface modifications
> I'd like to make are beyond my level of programming expertise.
>
> Perhaps someone should start a project on sourceforge that is simply
> for redesigning the UI. It would contain no code, only a clear, easy
> to use, well designed set of screenshots that show a better UI for
> MythTV. 4-6 months of people sending in ideas and the project managers
> picking best of breed should do it. Heck, I'll volunteer to create the
> final mock ups in GIMP.
Well, openwrt used to ship with a webui.  Then the webui split into a
completely separate project, AFAICT with the help of the developers.
The whole idea was that those who are best at coding system stuff aren't
necessarily the ones who should code the UI.

Perhaps that might be a long-term goal; build a mythfrontend engine that
doesn't have a UI.  Then a separate project can build the UI.

Or just dispose of the UI altogether and just go with a web frontend.

I don't know; I'm just tossing ideas....