[mythtv-users] RANT: MythTV has a *horrible* end user experience.

Sarah Hayes sarah at sarahhayes.is-a-geek.net
Mon Feb 25 04:01:46 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 02/24/2008 11:30 AM, Sarah Hayes wrote:
>
>>> The setup screens in mythtv are far scarier than
>>> any text-based Linux config file I've ever seen.
>>>

>> Agreed again.  First time I saw the config screens it was "jesus... run"
>>

> I sure hope all of you complaining about this are not the same people
> who always say, "Well, /I/ don't want it that way on my system.  Why not
> just add an option?"
>
> Mike ("We don't need no stinkin' settings") Dean

No, I'm not.  And no, I probably don't want it to do that on my
system... who the hell wants a Brevel sandwich toaster control in
mythconfig anyway??  The correct option is "extra crispy", your wrong if
you think differently.

I'd much rather the whole lot was deposited in a nice text file in /etc/
personally.  Who needs a GUI on a server anyhow?

Your selective quoting does kind of miss what I went on to say about it
offering sensible defaults that you can change; thus inferencing the
advanced options are still there for you to play with.  It also missing
the part about built-in help so that configuring is easier.