[mythtv-users] use hdhomerun to watch live-tv on a SD tv?

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Sat Feb 23 22:32:03 UTC 2008

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 12:29:51PM -0800, chuckster wrote:

> My current mythtv setup is output to a standard-definition 4:3 tv. I recently
> purchased an hdhomerun so that I could tune in OTA atsc broadcasts. I
> realize that this tuner is intended for HD displays, but I was assuming that
> I could configure my backend to convert the live-tv into a format that is
> compatible with my display (I guess this would be analogous to a setup in
> which the backend lacks a hardware mpeg encoder). Unfortunately I haven't
> been able to figure out how to do this and so when I tune in an HD station,
> I just get a blue screen on my tv. I'm hoping that someone here can tell me
> (in basic terms, I'm pretty much a linux/mythtv noob) how to get this
> working, or if it is not possible. In case it is relevant, I'm using a
> modified xbox as my frontend (which is another reason why I need to avoid HD
> content). Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've tried searching the
> forum here and at silicon dust as well as the mythtv wiki without finding a
> clear answer

I have a FE/BE combo, AMD XP3500 which is hooked up to an ordinary 27" CRT
TV through the SVideo output of an NVidia 5200. Apart from changing aspect
ratios with 'w', I have no problems showing live HDTV from the HDHomeRun
on the SD set. Someday I'll buy an LCD to show HDTV, but I have kids.

Your xbox is probably the problem -- HDHR sends whatever it
gets, which is MPEG2 and may be HD. If the xbox can't handle
display and downconvert, you have a problem.

-dsr-

subversive content by DHS, and is
believed to be treasonous Commie propaganda.