[mythtv-users] use hdhomerun to watch live-tv on a SD tv?

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 21:46:01 UTC 2008

chuckster wrote:
> My current mythtv setup is output to a standard-definition 4:3 tv. I recently
> purchased an hdhomerun so that I could tune in OTA atsc broadcasts. I
> realize that this tuner is intended for HD displays, but I was assuming that
> I could configure my backend to convert the live-tv into a format that is
> compatible with my display (I guess this would be analogous to a setup in
> which the backend lacks a hardware mpeg encoder). Unfortunately I haven't
> been able to figure out how to do this and so when I tune in an HD station,
> I just get a blue screen on my tv. I'm hoping that someone here can tell me
> (in basic terms, I'm pretty much a linux/mythtv noob) how to get this
> working, or if it is not possible. In case it is relevant, I'm using a
> modified xbox as my frontend (which is another reason why I need to avoid HD
> content). Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've tried searching the
> forum here and at silicon dust as well as the mythtv wiki without finding a
> clear answer
> Thanks.

Chuck,

There is a script and some notes on how to use it that
converts HD whatever down to SD mpeg2 for the mvpmc device that only handles
720x480/mp3 <~12Mbit/second, I would guess that its output will also
play on the xbox, the script is setup to run as a user job, and will replace
the old mpeg file with new SD one, and also rename the original one as mpg.orig,
it is still being tested and developed so I did not want to delete the original
file as some debugging is still being done.

The current version of the script is included.

It sounds like there needs to be a SD transcode mpeg2 option for the weak
devices like the mvpmc and the xbox, and probably a number of other devices
that cannot handle high bit rates and/or high resolutions or certain audio
codecs.

                                 Roger