[mythtv-users] any way to load cutlist while still flagging?

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Sat Feb 23 15:27:37 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 10:30 PM, Chris Pinkham <cpinkham at bc2va.org> wrote:
>  This feature has nothing to do with the cutlist or auto-skip.

Chris, I think this statement is incorrect. I'll explain in a minute

After doing some more experimenting I think I've figured out my
problem.  I believe my problem was due to a fundamental
misunderstanding (on my part) of the differences between cutlists and
the auto commercial skip feature.

With a cutlist, if you jump to anywhere within the middle of the cut,
it automatically skips you to the end of the cut. With automatic
commercial skip, it only does the skip right when you get to the start
of the commercial. Furthermore, it seem the automatic commercial skip
only works if there is no cutlist loaded.

So what was I doing wrong? Both of the above. First, when I sat down
to watch, the first thing I did was load a cutlist for whatever
commercials had been flagged so far. That right there prevented any
further commercials from being skipped without me reloading the
cutlist.

Second, when I tested with the auto commercial skip instead of the
cutlist, my misunderstanding caused a problem. I'm used to how
cutlists work. Often times when a program is about to go to
commercial, it will give you a 5 second preview of what you'll see
after the commercial break. I absolutely hate those, so what I usually
do is hit the skip ahead key to jump into the middle of the
commercial, and then the cutlist will automatically take me to where
ever the commercial break ends. Problem is, automatic commercial skip
doesn't seem to work that way, so I was subverting it.

So, when you said "This feature has nothing to do with the cutlist or
auto-skip" I think thats wrong because:
1) Automatically loading commercials as they are flagged via the
COMMLIST_UPDATE appears to work only if automatic commercial skip is
turned on. It won't happen if you are relying on a cutlist.
2) Automatic commercial skip seems to be disabled if you've loaded a cutlist.

In other words, for this to work it's vital that both automatic
commercial skip be turned on AND that no cutlist is loaded.

--
Ron