[mythtv-users] recordedseek table crashing regularly, still

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Sat Feb 23 07:07:08 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 02:17:46PM -0800, David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Feb 20, 2008, at 1:59 AM, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > Clearly it's a MySQL bug rather than a MythTV bug, but I'd welcome any
> > advice. The system is otherwise stable.
>
> Even though the system is otherwise stable, I'd start by checking for
> memory problems with something like MEMTEST-86+.  Sometimes they only
> crop up in programs that have particular access patterns -- for
> example, I had one machine that seemed stable except kernel compiles
> would consistently fail.  It turned out to have bad cache RAM.

Indeed, it turned out to be a RAM problem. The CPU (Athlon64 x2 939-pin)
apparently can't cope with 4 DIMMs at DDR400. The BIOS is supposed to
automatically downgrade to DDR333, but doesn't. I slowed it down and
that's fixed it up, along with a couple of other weird problems.

Generally the machine was very stable but had a few specific bugs. They
all seem to have gone. I'd run MEMTEST86+ overnight before without
issue. How weird.

Thanks
Hamish