[mythtv-users] Using the Hardware Encoder on the HVR1300 (Blackbird CX88) with MythTV

Rajesh Balan rajesh at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Feb 22 14:21:30 UTC 2008

Hi,

with the recent v4l drivers, hardware encoding on the HVR1300 works
flawlessly. In particular,

cat /dev/video1 > test.mpg  works.  test.mpg has synched audio and a
good quality picture.

How do I get MythTV to use the hardware encoding of the HVR1300? I tried
using the setting for the PVR250 hardware encoder but all I get is a
black screen.

Is there any easy way to do this? I ask because analog recording is
driving me nuts. Getting proper audio is proving to be quite hard. It
either crackles and pops or I get static or I get silence.

I will play with this in more detail over the weekend. If necessary,
I'll look at the code and try to figure out how to fix the existing
hardware card support. The LinuxMCE / plutohome guys claim to have
created patches to support the hardware encoding of the CX88 chipset in
MythTV. But I have not been able to find a clean patch yet.

Any quick solutions before I dive off the deep end?

Thanks,

Rajesh