[mythtv-users] Change channel on Kreatel decoder

Fredrik Hallgarde mythtv at tedde.nu
Fri Feb 22 11:57:13 UTC 2008

F P skrev:
>>  Message: 11
>>  Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 11:00:26 +0100
>>  From: Fredrik Hallgarde <mythtv at tedde.nu>
>>  Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Change channel on Kreatel decoder
>>  To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>>
>>  F P skrev:
>>  >> Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 17:05:14 +0100
>>  >> From: "F P" <zagor.fp at gmail.com>
>>  >> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Change channel on Kreatel decoder
>>  >> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>>  >>
>>  >> On Feb 19, 2008 5:04 PM, F P <zagor.fp at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  >>
>>  >>>> Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 13:53:10 +0100
>>  >>>> From: Fredrik Hallgarde <mythtv at tedde.nu>
>>  >>>> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Change channel on Kreatel decoder
>>  >>>>
>>  >>>> Did you try irrecord?
>>  >>>> Try irrecord WITHOUT --force first because if that works its better with
>>  >>>> interpreted codes than raw.
>>  >>>>
>>  >
>>  > Ok, done, but no good news.
>>  > I had to issue the following:
>>  > # sudo irrecord -d /dev/lircd test.txt
>>  >
>>  > I had to specify the device because it was complaining that /dev/lirc
>>  > was not accessible, or something of the kind.
>>  > I only have /dev/lircd and /dev/lirc0, the latter gave the same error,
>>  > while the former broghat me to the recording prompt.
>>  > After pressing few keys on the decoder remote it timed out saying
>>  > something like "not received any input in 10seconds".
>>  > Also with --force didn't record anything.
>>  >
>>  > Don't know if I've already mentioned this, but I'm on Mythbuntu 7.10,
>>  > using lirc version and modules coming with the system.
>>  > I haven't followed any of the guides to enable the IRblaster on my PVR-150, yet.
>>  > Those are the links for the guides:
>>  > http://evuraan.blogspot.com/2008/01/how-to-get-to-use-ir-transmitter-of-pvr.html
>>  > http://www.blushingpenguin.com/mark/blog/?p=24
>>  >
>>  > Is irrecord independent on the transmitter?
>>  > I guess it should record something even if I haven't updated the
>>  > linux-ubuntu-modules and the "/etc/lirc/hardware.conf to call *only*
>>  > lirc_pvr150".
>>  >
>>  > What next?
>>  >
>>  > Thanks for your help!
>>  > Francesco
>>  >
>>  >
>>  Does Lirc work at all? (i.e. can you use your remote)
>>  You do not need to activate the IR blaster to use irrecord but the
>>  correct lirc module must be loaded.
>>  Does irw work?
>>  Does mode2 work? (required lircd to be stopped)
>>

> Yes, Lirc works perfectly (after a few adjustments to the .lircrc file
> for the grey hauppauge remote).
> [...]

I suspect that the PVR150 receiver can only accept the PVR150 remote (I
think I recall something about only accepting RC-5) and that you need
some other way to record the codes from the kreatel remote.
Are you able to use/buy/borrow/build another receiver, i.e. an MCE
usb-receiver or a serial one to check whether you get any info?

I suggest you try it out on a different machine if you are able to as
that will keep your mythbox stable, if not, make sure you backup
modprobe.conf (or equivalent) and lirc.conf.

Fredrik