[mythtv-users] Is 4GB RAM overkill for mythtv?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Feb 22 01:44:25 UTC 2008

On Feb 21, 2008, at 2:10 PM, James Gutshall Jr wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 3:24 PM, Captain Krypto <captainkrypto at gmail.com
> > wrote:
> ...Besides the usual mythtv functions...
>
> Another thought is depending on usage, size, etc, mysql loves
> memory.  you can tweak your my.cnf file to have extra caching, extra
> allocated memory, etc to speed up database queries, etc.  Also,
> given enough memory, mysql will try to run everything from ram.
> that is in addition to disk caching linux will provide.  however,
> most of the memory will sit unused on the machine, most people tend
> to use 1-2GB of ram for their higher end machines... unless they are
> not "myth-only" boxes.
> --James

I just upgraded my master backend from 512MB (constantly using 200+ MB
swap) to 2GB RAM which is a bit overkill, but I'd love to make MySQL
happier. Whenever I am running a mythfilldatabase, my backend refuses
to make any connections to a frontend until it's done and I believe
it's due to high MySQL usage. Anyway, my current my.cnf looks like this:

old_passwords=1
key_buffer = 16M
table_cache = 128
sort_buffer_size = 2M
myisam_sort_buffer_size = 8M
query_cache_size = 16M

Anyone have recommendations as to what I can set these to or is it
more of a "raise it, see how it goes, raise it again, see how it goes"
type of thing?
The machine runs MySQL, backend (with a PVR-150) and a frontend that's
only used with a Slingbox when I'm away from home.

-Brad