[mythtv-users] HDHomerun signal strength required

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Thu Feb 21 14:24:55 UTC 2008

Richard Shaw wrote:
> My HDHomerun should be delivered today so I thought I'd ask another question
> to see what everyone else is doing. I have a good but not great omni
> directional antenna in the attic. Since the HDHomerun has two tuners I'll
> have to split the signal connect both inputs. Has this been a problem for
> anyone?

I don't have an HDHomeRun, but I know many people on the list have
referred to using both tuners with OTA with no trouble, splitting their
signal from a single antenna.  In general, splitting the signal is not a
problem, unless your getting a weak signal.

I'm not an electronics engineer but I'll basically be splitting the
> signal strength in half, right?

Right.

> Most of the signals for the stations available to me are coming from the
> same direction within about a 20 degree included angle so I'm assuming if my
> current antenna is not good enough I should probably go with a moderately
> directional antenna.

That would help, although you could get an amplifier for your existing
antenna, as well.  But that decision depends on things like how far you
are from the transmitter tower(s), does your home have aluminum siding
(cuts the signal strength for antennas dramatically), local electrical
noise conditions, etc.

If you have a digital TV and you already get good signal from that
antenna on the TV, you shouldn't have a problem.  If after you hook
everything up to the HDHomeRun, you notice a drop in signal, you may
need an amplifier.  Or if possible, you could shorten the length of
cable between your antenna and receiver/HDHomerun to reduce signal loss.
  Or get better quality cable, like RG-6 quad-shield.