[mythtv-users] TV out size

Michael Skaastrup Michael at Skaastrup.dk
Thu Feb 21 12:35:59 UTC 2008

tor, 21 02 2008 kl. 12:11 +0000, skrev Tim Phipps:

> Michael Skaastrup wrote:
> > Using Xorg via drivers and 720x576pal mode i get good picture but the
> > image is surrounded by black bars.
>
> That mode will turn on the TV chips scaler and de-interlacer. You get
> black bars because the scaler shrinks the screen output so you can see
> it all an a variety of CRT TVs (they all overscan by different amounts).
> >
> > I also tried 720x576Noscale. This IMO produces the best image quality
> > but not all on-screen.
> >
> That mode turns off the scaler and de-interlacer (as long as you don't
> have a display attached to the VGA port). What do you mean by "not all
> on-screen"? Your CRT TV will overscan by some amount so you may not see
> all the MythTV GUI.
>
> You can run the GUI in a different mode to the TV-playback. I get the
> best results having the GUI in 800x600 and TV playback in
> 720x576Noscale. The GUI mode is the default for themes so the frontend
> doesn't have to spend time scaling and caching the theme files. It also
> turns on the scaler which means I see the whole GUI and horizontal
> lines don't boggle up and down.
>
> You need 'Modes "800x600" "720x576Noscale"' in the Display subsection of
> xorg.conf so it starts in 800x600. Turning on the mode switching is done
> in /Setup/Setup/Appearance/Page3.

I wasn't aware of this conf option.

This almost solves my problem.

There is some overscan in live tv which I expected but the image is not
perfectly centered and OSD menu is slightly off screen to the left.

Can this be remedied?

Image quality is perfect.

> > For my test I am using a Nokia 32" 100Hz CRT television but have also
> > tried various other televisions with same results.
> >

> That's going to have a de-interlacer running even in 720x576Noscale so
> you might have to live with a bit of smearing with interlaced action.
> Films might be OK.

You are rigth on. I get a little smearing or blurriness on action. Can i
solve this by de-interlacing output?

Haven't tested films yet.

Thank you for very precise and usefull info.

-Michael