[mythtv-users] Mythtranscode stuff

Damian damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Thu Feb 21 09:48:49 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I'm surprised how little information I can find on the net about
mythtranscoding, so I have a few questions here.

1) Settings for SD recordings.
Can anyone share their High, Medium and Low settings (both video and
audio) to point me in the right direction? I'm in the UK if that makes
any difference.

2) Lost audio
On a couple of tests I've done, I've lost sound all together. I think
this was when I'd edited cut points as well as transcoding, but can't
confirm that. Any ideas how to avoid this? Otherwise there doesn't seem
to be any point in transcoding.

3) Quiet, dull audio
Hopefully looking at other people's settings can help this. I've read
about the issue when going from HD to SD (I think their problem was 5.1
audio going to stereo), but I don't think that's the problem I'm having
here.

4) Location of the profiles to edit
Just to confirm, I am editing the correct profiles aren't I? I'm
changing the settings of High, Medium and Low that are inside
Setup/Setup/TV Settings/ Recording Profiles/Transcoders. I ask because
at one point I renamed "High" to read "Lossless", but when I came to
select a transcoding option, it was still Default/Auto/High/Medium and
Low that were available.

5) What's the difference between Default and Auto detect transcoding?

6) I created a new recording profile (in Setup/Setup/TV Settings/
Recording Profiles) by mistake. I guess it;s fairly innocent as I don't
think it's doing anything, but is there a way to delete it?

Excuse the list of questions. Looking forward to any responses.

Damian