[mythtv-users] Recommendations for HD capture

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu Feb 21 00:22:32 UTC 2008

On Feb 20, 2008, at 3:30 PM, Yeechang Lee wrote:

> David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> says:
>> Count me as skeptical of this.  Every time I go to a sports bar I
>> see plain old 4:3 SD being stretched to fill a 16:9 screen.
>
> Again, apples and oranges. The bar owner has no access to (or doesn't
> know how to tune in) high-definition signals. Neither he, nor his
> patrons, knows the difference.

I actually know the person who set some of the local bars up, and he
told me they're set up for proper HD; the bartenders just can't be
bothered to punch in the right channel numbers.  This tells me either
no one actually knows the difference or they simply don't care.

I'm starting to think HDTV is basically the electronic industry
equivalent of corn ethanol subsidies.  The government is steering
dollars to an industry by forcing people to buy something they
otherwise wouldn't buy on their own.