[mythtv-users] Quick-boot linux?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Wed Feb 20 22:26:28 UTC 2008

On Feb 20, 2008, at 6:44 AM, Brian Wood wrote:

> Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 03:29:18AM +0000, Sarah Hayes wrote:
>>> Goat for SCSI array issues.
>>
>> Rule 1: It's the terminator, stupid.
>> Rule 2: It's the jumpers, stupid.
>> Rule 3: It's the cable, stupid.
>
> Rule 4: Using 4 cascaded adapters to get from the DB-25 on your old
> Mac
> to the Centronics 50-pin on your external drive was probably not the
> best idea.
>
> Rule 5: The 20' SCSI cable you picked up at a computer show for $5 was
> not a bargain.

Even 6' is usually too long, in my experience.  Of course, the system
won't fail immediately.  It'll fail weeks later and take one of the
devices on the bus with it, generally the most expensive one.

Rule 6: All the weird science audiophiles only think is true about
speaker cables really is true about SCSI cables.  If they're not gold-
plated, oxygen-free, double-shielded, and blessed by the pope, forget
it.

Rule 7: SCSI is one of those things that works better the more money
you throw at it.  If it fails after spending $n, it means you should
have spent $(2*n).