[mythtv-users] OT: Quick-boot linux?

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Wed Feb 20 08:29:03 UTC 2008

Yan Seiner wrote:

*snip*
> A buddy of mine made me a chicken's foot that I still have twisted from
> some multicolored comm wire.  When we actually got that particular Sun
> to do something extraordinary (like network printing from a DOS
> workstation) we would all do a savage victory dance around the great
> Sparc, brandishing the chicken's foot over our heads.  The company
> owners thought we were nuts, but since we got it to work, they couldn't
> say much......

*cue wavey flashback lines*

In a former life as a QA monkey for Tektronix colour printing and
imaging (before they got sucked up by Xerox), I had in the lab a rubber
chicken that would be used for the various win and mac boxen under our care.

Enter the newbie and a workstation running NT4 with no onboard audio.

Enter in a 'running joke' ISA PnP Ensonic sound card.

He fought, he argued, he swore, and had no joy.

He leaves for the day, his last sight was me waving the chicken over the
computer before I attempted to Make It Work.

He scoffed, he laughed.

He became a believer when he came in the next day and the sound was
working perfectly.

And words to live by, else we wouldn't have such things as a tape drive
that transferred data faster when the drive was tilted back vs level in
the case...

"Remember, SCSI is not black magic. There are fundamental technical
reasons why it is necessary to sacrifice a goat at midnight in order
to get a SCSI device working properly.
OT     -- Arnoud Engelfriet "