[mythtv-users] Recommendations for HD capture

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Feb 19 23:36:30 UTC 2008

>>> You know... I have a sneaking suspicion that by the time that happens
>>> I won't really be watching much recorded stuff anymore. With all of
>>> the stuff that's readily available either for download or purchase
>>> these days it's really easy to go for days without going into the
>>> Recordings menu.
>>
>> Hey, some of us plan to keep using Myth (and using it to record
>> shows),
>> so we'd appreciate your not discussing downloading shows on this list
>> (as your saying, "or," implies that not all of it is legal).
>>
>> Mike

    All manner of downloads are greatly encouraged by the lack of
open HD cable standards. Rather than allowing the emerging technology
to give every one a cheap "why bother pirating" solution, people will
be encouraged to try downloads of one form or another.

    This will undermine the very industries all of this HDCP nonsense
is meant to protect.

    Why download when you can collect video on the scale of thousands
of hours all legitimately?

    Lame non-Tivo proprietary PVRs -> more downloads (legal or not).

> Really? I took "or" to mean legally downloaded on-demand stuff like
> some major broadcast companies are offering up on their websites for
> free. Get your mind out of the gutter, Mike. ;)

    No, I was referring to Torrent freaks. Although they aren't the
sort that would bother with MythTV. They're just going to be a bit
part of how this all sorts out.