[mythtv-users] Encoding to h264 to save space

Chris Isip cmisipster at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 23:11:44 UTC 2008

On Feb 19, 2008 11:04 AM, <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

> My original backend was an underperforming ATI based system.
> It had precisely this problem. This issue went away once I
> replaced it with a mac mini. Check the load on your system
> and see if you aren't maxing it out. Your box might not have
> enough muscle to seek through h264 in realtime.
>
> I also have another nv 6100 based system with a similar cpu
> to the old ATI underperformer. This system can also seek fine
> through h264 files.
>
> Although I have never compressed as agressively as you do.
>
> I don't know if that could be an issue.

I have a new Dell Vostro 200 with a dual core  2.2 Ghz cpu.   I checked the
cpu usage and it stays at about 10 % while playing back the file in mythtv
and seeking.  So it has to be something else.  I also played the h264 video
with mplayer and I didn't see any graphic distortion with seeking.   This
seems to be a mythtv issue only.

Thanks
Chris