[mythtv-users] imdp.pl oddities?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Feb 19 15:12:39 UTC 2008

Anduin Withers wrote:
>> What about changing the script so it identified itself as a mythtv device?
>> Then the script works for now, we identify ourselves correctly and
> accurately,
>> and the guys at IMDB can actually see what is coming from Mythtv users
> rather
>> than a general mass of people, and gain an accurate understanding of what
> is
>> hitting their DB.
>
> If we get permission I'll do that. Until recently I had assumed we had
> permission (I removed Amazon.com support some time ago because it was
> clear we couldn't comply with their AUP).
>
> Just changing the user agent isn't enough, their current "Conditions of Use"
> are unambiguous.
>
> http://www.imdb.com/help/show_article?conditions

Is this something that could perhaps be tied in with SchedulesDirect? After all,
my finger in the air guess says that the volumes of data might be comparable,
and Schedules Direct was set up to solve a roughly similar situation, ie hordes
of Myth machines randomly hammering thier database.

Any way we can leverage that? Perhaps point IMDB to Schedules Direct and suggest
that as a model method of sloving the problem.

Mike Perkins