[mythtv-users] Installing latest xmltv/tv_grab_uk_rt in [Myth]Ubuntu 7.10?

Sarah Hayes sarah at sarahhayes.is-a-geek.net
Tue Feb 19 12:18:27 UTC 2008

Mark Fraser wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 February 2008 11:21:37 nospam312 wrote:
>
>>> A lot of trouble... I made the new XMLTV release yesterday.  I would
>>> expect a new copy in the YUM repositories soon..
>>>
>> Great.  Are the YUM repositories the standard Ubuntu ones that Update
>> Manager uses or do I need to add a repositories somewhere to pick up
>> these updates?  TIA.
>>

> YUM (Yellowhat Update Manager) is for Fedora, for Ubuntu you would do:
>
> sudo apt-get remove xmltv
>
> I don't think you will get the updated version in the Ubuntu repositories as
> they only release security updates between versions. To get the new version
> you would have to get the source code and compile it yourself.

Possibly.  Although go through the software sources menu and turn on
'backports' and universe.  It opens up a great deal of
unsupported/new/unstable/broken (delete as applicable, the word "broken"
is entirely subjective) packages for you to play with.

Debuntu is also a  handy site to poke at for somethings.

Given sufficient time, assuming it does appear in backports, the update
manager will jump up and down like an annoying little terrier dog eager
to please and install it.  Alternatively with those two repo's active
issue the usual "apt-get update" and "apt-get install xmltv" to test for
a newer version.