[mythtv-users] Recommendations for HD capture

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Feb 19 01:20:30 UTC 2008

Peter Loron wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2008, at 4:49 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>
>> On Feb 18, 2008, at 3:42 PM, Peter Loron wrote:
>>
>>> 1. When the digital cutover happens next year, will the various
>>> channels on cable wind up all going HD? Or will we mostly be still
>>> stuck with 480i - just digital?
>> There is nothing that says the cable company has to do anything
>> differently than they are currently doing. The digital transition is
>> for over the air broadcasts only. However, that doesn't mean the cable
>> companies WON'T do anything. It's up to them as far as what they want
>> to provide. If I know them like I think I know them, they will say,
>> "They're making us go digital so now you have to pay for digital."
>> which isn't true. But this won't be the first time they lied to make
>> money.
>>

> Actually I was thinking more along the lines of the source of the
> content moving to HD. Studios may move to only doing HD as the % of HD
> capable sets rises. If HD is all the cable companies can get, then
> they'll need to play that.
>
> Of course they will squeeze us for all they can.

SD material will continue to be available for the foreseeable future. A
large percentage of the cable channels are re-runs anyway.

I was a little surprised when Hogan's Heroes showed up on HDNet as "HD",
but it turns out it was originally shot on 35mm film and they just re
telecined it.

I often find myself watching B+W material from the 50s (Groucho Marx,
Burns and Allen etc.). MUCH better than what the studios are turning out
today.

But my cable company is already telling me "the FCC is requiring us to
go all digital", pure bunk, but typical. I think the folks at their
office actually believe it, but the higher ups should know better, but
they also know that most subscribers will believe any idiotic action by
the government these days.

beww

beww