[mythtv-users] Recommendations for HD capture

Peter Loron peterl at standingwave.org
Mon Feb 18 23:42:57 UTC 2008

Hello, all. I've been going along fine for quite a while on my one
PVR250. This weekend I updated the tube to a 1080i HD unit. I have the
basic Comcast cable and no OTA capability. The coax goes direct into
the TV and PVR250. No cable box.

I'm not a voracious TV watcher nor am I planning to upgrade to any of
the waaaaaaaay too expensive full HD packages from Comcrap. Satellite
is not an option due to horizon issues.

Soooo. I'd like to be able to get a better picture when possible from
the unencrypted HD channels that are available, but a lot of what I
will wind up recording is going to still be in SD.

I understand that there are a new crop of not-quite-supported-in-linux
capture devices that should be functional this year.

I've done some Googling and some reading in the Gossamer archives, but
I'm unable to gain a clear picture of the best options...

1. When the digital cutover happens next year, will the various
channels on cable wind up all going HD? Or will we mostly be still
stuck with 480i - just digital?

2. Since I can wait a while, any reason not to sit tight until the new
capture devices are ready? I'm somewhat slot limited, so I'd like one
card that can handle whatever formats Comcast will be carrying into
the future (QAM + ?).

Thanks!

-Pete