[mythtv-users] Quick-boot linux?

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Mon Feb 18 21:39:55 UTC 2008

Rich West wrote:
> Mark J. Small wrote:

>>> About a 80-90 seconds. This is a debian lenny box doing a diskless boot.

>>> One way is to use suspend to ram. That the approach I'm taking. Then
>>> you only have to tolerate a full reboot time if the power goes out.
>>>
>> Do you have any issues with the NFS root + S2RAM combination?  Were there
>> gotchas involved? I've always been a tad nervous about that one...
>>
>> I've been planning to try to get S2RAM working on my diskless frontend (a 700
>> MHz Pentium III). I'd really like to have it on nearly instantly.  In that
>> case, I would turn it off a lot more often, and save lotsa power.
>>
>> Now if only I could power it on/revive it with my remote, without investing
>> even more money in this little hobby.
>

> Power on via the remote would be a wonderful thing!

I have this working on some of my diskless frontends. I use MiniMyth,
which has S3 (suspend to RAM) support built in, including support for
waking using the supported remotes. I use the MCE remote, which works fine.

However, S3 is rather temperamental. Whether or not it works appears to
depend on everything, including hardware (including how it is connected
together), software and BIOS.

My three front ends (two ASUS NVIDIA+AMD motherboards and one VIA EPIA
motherboard) support S3. However, the VIA board will not wake using the
remote's power button; I must use the computer's power button. Yet,
others with essentially the same configuration (one only differing in
that it has a dual core processor, and one only differing in that it has
a VFD display) have problems with S3.

S3 is definitely a headache to get working. However, once you succeed,
it is great.