[mythtv-users] OT: HD and sports

Jacob Steenhagen jacob at steenhagen.us
Mon Feb 18 13:56:14 UTC 2008

I really think a part of the problem is that (as far as I know) they use the
same cameras and production staff to broadcast the HD and SD version of the
game. After all, it's a live game and to have different staff for each
format almost doubles your required staff. It's not like a movie where they
can shoot in HD and then evaluate each shot when they put it on a
"fullscreen" DVD to determine which parts of the picture to cut out. So what
ends up happening is that the "additional" portions of the HDTV on the left
and right never show anything important, because if they did, the SD sets
wouldn't pick up on it. I even notice that with the score boxes at the top
of the screen. The score, time, etc. is all in the center and the far
left/right only show a solid color. Perhaps that will change in the
semi-near future and they'll just show the SD broadcast in letterbox.

--
http://jacob.steenhagen.us