[mythtv-users] mythshutdown: Could not initialize myth context. Exiting.

Ashley Bostock abostock at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 13:30:36 UTC 2008

On 16/02/2008, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 02/16/2008 02:40 PM, Ashley Bostock wrote:

> either.

> my
> over
> is
> >>>
> >> Exactly!  Fix the environment in which mythwelcome/mythshutdown is
> >> executed to have a properly-exported HOME directory and everything will
> >> work.
> > Thanks for the info.  Any pointers on what a "properly exported HOME
> > directory" requires?
> >
> > If I type export, I can see HOME listed and set to the correct value.
> > If I type echo $HOME, it shows the correct value.  But then running sudo
> > mythshutdown, gives me the error.
> >
> > I accept my system configuration is broken, but it's a stock Ubuntu
> install
> > so if I can get some help in figuring out what needs to be fixed, then
> I'm
> > sure it'll save a lot of threads like this from others when 0.21 gets
> > released to the masses.

Depending on the value specified for env_reset in your sudoers file, the
> handling of the HOME environment variable can differ.  If env_reset is
> enabled (the default, and really the configuration you should use), only
> a few variables (including HOME) are passed to the environment in which
> the sudone ;) command is executed.

My sudoers file doesn't have env_reset in it, so I'm using the default
setting of it being enabled.

However, the value may be determined
> by the sudo default depending on the values of env_keep, env_delete,
> and/or env_check.

I don't change/set any of these either in my sudoers file.

See the sudo and sudoers man page (and especially the SECURITY NOTES
> section of the sudo man page), and check your /etc/sudoers to see if
> you're changing the HOME variable handling.

Cross referencing each line and setting (there are hardly any) in my sudoers
file with the description from the man pages, I can't find any thing in it
that would change it.

Also, run "sudo -V" as root to see more info on your sudo config.

Running that gives me...
Environment variables to check for sanity:
        XAUTHORIZATION
        XAUTHORITY
        DISPLAY
        LOGNAME
        HOME
        TERM
        LANGUAGE
        LANG
        LC_*

Which I assume is saying that the HOME variable should be exported and set
correctly when I use sudo.  No other line on the output talks about the HOME
setting or anything regarding removing, modifying, not setting, etc... its
value.

So I'm completely confused as to what a properly configured sudo setup
should look like, as based off what you've said and what the man page states
I'm not specifically telling it to not set HOME, in fact everything seems to
imply that it should be set.

Any one else out there who has this working, could you post your sudoers
file?
Mike I assume you do have this working, do you have any extra settings in
your sudoers file?

Ash