[mythtv-users] What happens if multiple frontends want to record same programme?

Peter Schachte schachte at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Mon Feb 18 10:03:36 UTC 2008

> John Veness wrote:
>> There's nothing as yet. What I've setup with my wife is three Recording
>> Groups, Both, John, and MyWifesName.

>> This works ok with two people, but may not scale well to larger groups,

No, it wouldn't, as you'd need a separate group for each subset of the whole
group.  So for a family of n there would be 2^n recording groups, and each
person would need to look in more than half of the groups to find all the
programs they might be interested in watching.

Wade Maxfield wrote:
> If something is in the Both group, when one person has finished watching
> it, they should move it to the other persons group.  No need to check if
> it's safe to delete then, as anything in your group is something that
> only you wanted to watch, or something your wife has already watched.

If a recording could be put into many recording groups, instead of just one,
I think this would satisfy the OP's needs.  Then you'd just have a recording
group for each family member, and each person would only have to look at
their own recording group to see all the programs they'd want to watch (and
none they don't).  And instead of deleting recordings, you'd simply remove
them from your own recording group, leaving it in whatever other groups it is
in.  When a recording is removed from the last recording group, it could be
deleted, or Myth could take the number of groups a recording is in, in
addition to age and priority, into account in deciding what to autoexpire.

--
Peter Schachte              I worry that 10 or 15 years from now, [my child]
schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        will come to me and say 'Daddy, where were you