[mythtv-users] A52 encoding with ALSA

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Feb 18 01:44:23 UTC 2008

On 02/17/2008 10:49 AM, Justin wrote:

>> On 02/13/2008 11:49 PM, Justin wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone have *A52* encoding with ALSA working? I'd like to
>>> encode all my audio to digital and send it over spdif. I know how
>>> to configure the asoundrc file to do this but i'm missing the
>>> *A52* encoder alsa plugin. I have installed all the plugins
>>> available and it still doesn't exist. Anyone get this working,
>>> specifically on fedora 8?
>>
>> 0.21 may actually have that capability built in (no need for ALSA's
>>  plugin, and actually provides multi-channel output even with
>> *timestretch*--which is impossible if using ALSA's plugin).
>
> Does svn have this built in already or is it a feature that will
> likely be added soon?  If it does exist can you point me to
> documentation on how to use it?

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/

And I'm not just trying to be a jerk.  I'm really 495 messages behind on
just the -commits list (thanks to a week at a hotel with a high-speed
"Internet" connection that blocks all encrypted traffic).  That's really
where the best documentation and the best information will be.  It's
ticket #1104, plus all the other tickets and commits that may not have
specifically referenced #1104, but which are related.

Mike