[mythtv-users] Recording input from a Camcorder

Sebastian Buks sebastianbuks at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 17 13:38:43 UTC 2008

First off, if you really have a digital cam I see no point in doing
this via an analogue link. I guess your cam comes with some sort of a
connection (USB, Firewire).

Anyway, if you still persist on doing this with your PVR-500 this can
easily be done without MythTV. Just make sure you got the v4l2-ctl
package installed, plug in your cam into composite. Set the PVR-500 to
use the composite input, 'v4l2-ctl -i 2 -d /dev/video0'. If cam corder
is up an running signal strength on the 2:nd devide (composite) should
be 100% ('v4l2-ctl -T -i 2'). Then do the same with audio. Finally
just 'cat /dev/video0 > ~/anything.mpg'.

Hope that helps. But honestly, try just to transfer with USB or
firewire first.

Seb