[mythtv-users] Digital audio issues

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Feb 16 17:27:32 UTC 2008

On 02/13/2008 01:07 AM, Justin wrote:
> I have my mythbox (using the latest SVN) connected to my mixer via a
> digital optical cable.  I have an asoundrc file created according to the
> documentation found here:
> http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound
>
> I am using the mixed-digital.
>
> I also have AC3 and DTS to SPDIF passthrough enabled.
>
> Sound works fine for livetv, recordings, and mythmusic.  However there
> is a quirk in mythvideo.  I have some ISO movies, when I watch them the
> sound is fine unless I try to fast forward, pause, or rewind.  As soon
> as I unpause or finish fast forwarding or rewinding I get digital
> noise.  In order to restore the sound I have to go back to the main menu
> and restart the dvd.
> Does anyone know what might cause this?

You've set the Internal player to use AC-3/DTS passthrough and you've
set the passthrough device to default or ALSA:mixed-digital, which won't
work.  You need to change the passthrough device to something else (i.e.
ALSA:digital may work (depending on your particular sound card), if not,
use ALSA:iec958 --do not use the one in the combobox that says,
"ALSA:iec958:{ AES0 0x02 }", as it's different (and a broken
configuration)).

Mike