[mythtv-users] Graphics annoyances with my new Myth frontend

Chris Isip cmisipster at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 14:37:35 UTC 2008

I bought a Dell Vostro 200 slim line a few weeks back  and installed Centos
5.1  and mythtv-0.20.2-171.el5.  Everything works fine except for a couple
of graphics annoyances that seem to happen at random.  Every now and then
the screen would blank and at other times, the screen resolution decreases
somewhat such that the video looks more interlaced and the text unreadable.
If I hibernate and wake up the system, the problem goes away.  I have dpms
disabled in xorg.conf and have xset -dpms s off in Gnome -> Sessions ->
Startup Programs.  xset -q reports:

Screen Saver:
  prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
  timeout:  0    cycle:  0
Colors:
  default colormap:  0x20    BlackPixel:  0    WhitePixel:  16777215
Font Path:
  unix/:7100
Bug Mode: compatibility mode is disabled
DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 0    Suspend: 0    Off: 0
  DPMS is Disabled

I am using an nvidia card 7300 LE low profile with svideo tv out.  I have a
KVM hooked up to the VGA port and  a 32 inch tv connected to the tv out
which is my primary display.

By the way, hibernate is such a neat feature.  I could pause live TV and
hibernate the machine.  When I wake it up, I can unpause the  live TV and
continue where I left off.  However, If I am behind hours of live TV, the
fast forward and rewind dont seem to work.
Also I wish there is a way to wake up the machine with the Streamzap remote.

Thanks for any insight you can provide
Chris