[mythtv-users] Advice on Proposed setup UK DVB-T

Simon Kenyon simon at koala.ie
Fri Feb 15 16:04:35 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 17:49 +0000, Adam Retter wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I would like to get some advice on a proposed setup for MythTV, im
> still in the planning stages at the moment.
>
> My requirements -
>
> Small quiet machine for the lounge that will sit by the TV, should be
> able to playback almost any video/music/image format from other
> machines on the home network - Windows networking SMB. Must be able to
> also play DVD's and films burn to recordable DVD/CD as XViD or DivX
> etc etc.
> Should also be able to play and record a UK diggital terrestrial TV
> Signal. I would like to be able to record a different channel to the
> one I am watching and perhaps be able to record more than one thing at
> once. It should record to an internal hard disk with the option of
> later burning files to DVD/CD. Oh and it should have a remote control
> of course!

i have two machines in my sittingroom, one is a be and the other a
combined slave be/fe
both are in silverstonetek 10 cases (one with lcd)
one has a pentium-M and the other an Athlon 64x2

for any machine in a living space, the major issue is noise
small cases are all very well, but they usually have a small
powersupply.
which usually has a small noisy fan.

so go for a standard sized (4U) case and get as low a noise PSU and CPU
fan as you can afford. NorthQ make some pretty reasonably priced and
quiet PSU. the stock AMD fan (with Quiet'n'Cool enabled) is not bad.

Samsung disks are quiet.

if you run myth from svn, then recording multiple streams from the same
dvb multiplex is supported (and is very cool)
--
simon