[mythtv-users] AM2 Motherboard with PCI slots galore

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Feb 15 14:54:45 UTC 2008

Bob Long wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
>> Ben Curtis wrote:
>>> Hmmm... Well, I don't use the serial ports for blasters, I've made
>>> Serial to RJ11 jacks to control RCA receivers.  I did find this
>>> motherboard, which has 3 pci's and 6 on board SATA controllers.  If
>>> I dropped down to one standard def capture, or used a USB one, and a
>>> USB to Serial adapter, this could work.  It also supports AM2, so I
>>> could upgrade to a Phenom in the future.
>>>
>>> http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131022
>> Wouldn't it be nice if someone made something useful to put in those
>> PCIExpress x1 slots ?
>
> Compro have some dual tuner cards:
> http://www.comprousa.com/New/en/pcie.html
>
> I have no idea if any will run in Linux yet (no time to search, just at the
> moment!)

Looks like some of their older (non-PCIExpress) cards claim Linux
support, apparently using the V4L and DVB stuff, but a quick check of
Gossamer shows plenty of people having trouble making them work.

I don't see anything about the E series, which are the PCIExpress x1
cards, but they are "Vista Certified" :-)

I also found some multi-serial cards that go into those otherwise
useless slots, not sure about Linux support.

So at least we're starting to see some PCIExpress x1 cards.

I just hate to see the space wasted on these little slots on modern
motherboards. That goes double for the second x16 slot, I doubt that
many Myth users will want to go SLI or Crossfire, so that is just wasted
space as well.

I guess you would have to go to server class mobos to get away from
products designed for gamers.

beww