[mythtv-users] Fastest RAID for HD?

Marc drayson at net1plus.com
Fri Feb 15 13:22:46 UTC 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of John Drescher
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2008 4:13 PM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Fastest RAID for HD?

>  So, RAID for reliability, backups for data integrity.  If you have
>  backups, the main reason to use RAID is if you can't afford to have
>  the machine out of commission when a drive fails.

If you use storage groups each drive is independent so no increased
risk of down time. I assume that was what Lan Barnes was talking about
with his post.

John

True your system would not be down per say. But that drive with the
recordings from that storage group are gone. And any recordings that are set
to goto that group will not goto the drive you want it to. Instead they will
goto the mount point on, what is probably, the root drive, and may not have
the space.
Also unless you actively monitor all the drives daily to make sure nothing
is going wrong you might not catch one of these drives going down. I am out
of the house a lot and cannot be logging in from the road every day to make
sure nothing is wrong.
For this reason I have my root drive configured as a Raid1 and my media
drive configured as a Raid5. Which coincidentally is the exact same config
we use on the media servers at work. Althou our servers have HW raid for the
Raid5.