[mythtv-users] Fastest RAID for HD?

Marvin Match match at ece.utah.edu
Fri Feb 15 05:06:11 UTC 2008

On 14 Feb 2008 at 12:44, Lan Barnes wrote:

> But in the final analysis, myth recordings are JUST TV. Anything of more
> than passing value (family photos, music, classic shows/movies) can and
> should be backed up to CD/DVD. Outside of that, can one really be that
> worried about a HD crash sweeping away months of Sponge Bob's?

Truer words were never spoken. It's JUST TV.

My MythTV backend was until recently running EVERYTHING including the
database and the OS (all but the kernel and boot files) on a single
raid0 array, just so that I could have as much contiguous storage
space as possible. How dangerous is that? People on this list told me
that I couldn't possibly get the performance that I claimed with the
OS, database, AND recordings all on the same drive (actually array)
but I routinely recorded 3 HD OTA programs and could stream 2 at the
same time (never tried to stream more than 2 while recording 3) and
never had a hiccup.

My point is, putting everything on a raid0 made up of 5 garden-
variety 750's (would have had 6 but I couldn't figure out how to
stuff another drive into the box) means I had 5 times the possibility
of a total system failure due to a failed drive, but so what? It's
JUST TV!

Marvin