[mythtv-users] AM2 Motherboard with PCI slots galore

Marvin Match match at ece.utah.edu
Fri Feb 15 04:31:21 UTC 2008

On 14 Feb 2008 at 20:27, Calvin Dodge wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 8:22 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  Your best results with AMD cpus will be with asus for desktops and
>
> Asus is my first choice, too.
>
> >  Also try to avoid motherboards with chipset fans. That is my only
> >  complaint for asus. I have seen at least 25% of the chipset fans in my
> >  department die in 1 to 2 years of 24/7 usage.
>
> Amen to that. I've replaced all mine with Zalman chipset heat sinks.
>
> Calvin

Agreed. I'm fond of Asus, but for a seamingly high quality product,
they appear to go out of their way to use the cheapest, most short-
lived fans they can find these days. It's not a matter of if, but
rather when that fan will become noisy and then die completely. I
built 78 workstations for work with ASUS AMD boards a while back and
the fans started failing at only 3 months! In a year they were ALL
trash. These were desktop machines that ran only 6-ish hours a day on
average.

Unfortunately, as often as not the aftermarket chipset heatsinks
won't fit without sacrificing a card slot, or interfering with the
DVD drive, or interfering with something else on the board, or some
such, so your stuck when the darned thing quits. I've since replaced
them all with fanless INTEL mobos.

Personally, I've sworn off fans as much as possible, and NEVER accept
chipset fans these days. If it has a fan, I don't buy it, no matter
how good a choice the board seems to be otherwise. I've learned my
lesson.

Marvin