[mythtv-users] Advice on Proposed setup UK DVB-T

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 19:37:53 UTC 2008

>  Tuner card - Hauppage WINTV-NOVAT500 looks pretty good as it has dual
>  tuners, but it doesnt have hardware encoding - how much extra CPU
>  power do I need for encoding two streams simultaneously?

Encoding is not relevant for DVB-T capture, the encoding is done
before the programme is broadcast.  All your card has to do is save
the stream to disk.

So CPU power is not an issue with recording DVB.  Any CPU of 1GHz or
over would be able to record two channels comfortably and let you
watch a recording at the same time.

The next release of mythtv (due in the next couple of months I
believe) will allow you to record several channels with one tuner (as
long as they're on the same mulitplex), and again I doubt you'd need
much of a CPU to record at least 6 channels simultaneously.

>  Anyone know what the capture resolution for the NOVAT500 is?

It's whatever resolution the broadcast is at.  When the BBC were
testing HD on freeview I was able to record it using my Nova-T.  As I
said, the encoding is done before the broadcast, and that's what sets
the resolution.