[mythtv-users] AM2 Motherboard with PCI slots galore

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Thu Feb 14 17:07:04 UTC 2008

>  I'm not sure what you mean by a "true" serial port. A USB-Serial adapter
>  can be used for any application that meets the RS-232 spec, assuming you
>  have good drivers for the adapter. It's the blasters that are not "true"
>  serial devices.

Well, if it doesn't behave the way a serial port on the motherboard
would, then I'd say it's not a "true" serial port. Granted these
blasters may or may not be outside the spec of what a serial port is
SUPPOSED too do. However, every onboard serial port I've ever toyed
with has behaved the same way (my lirc IR device works the same on my
brand new computer as it did on my 10 year old computer). It would
seem to me that such broad "out-of-spec" compatibility doesn't happen
by accident. I would suspect the serial port standard goes beyond
simple RS-232 compatability (but I'm just speculating...I have no idea
what sort of standards actually exist for that)

--
Ron