[mythtv-users] Fastest RAID for HD?

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 17:01:27 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 9:22 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:

> >  raid5/6 has the problem that for each write he must read from all other
> >  disk to generate the new hash values.
> >

> You can lessen this effect if you set a big stripe cache.
>
> echo "2048" >> /sys/block/mdX/md/stripe_cache_size
>
> Where X is your array
>
> John

Don't you have to do that when you first create your md array?  I really
don't know much about the internals of the md software, I just know it's
working for me.  I've got 5x500GB drives in a RAID5.  I have a problem with
playback on the same machine when it's recording/comm flagging an HD program
and i'm trying to watch a recording.  But this has to do with the FE/Master
BE being an Athlon 2600+ with a gig of PC2700 memory than the array being
the problem.

Jim