[mythtv-users] AM2 Motherboard with PCI slots galore

David George david at thegeorges.us
Thu Feb 14 05:46:52 UTC 2008

On 2/14/2008 12:12 AM, Ben Curtis wrote:
> Hey Everyone,
>
> Looking to update my system and am running into some problems.  I'm
> currently using an old full ATX P4 motherboard, that has 6 PCI slots.
> I've got all the stuff to do an Socket AM2 system except the motherboard.
>
> Since I have 4 capture cards, a serial port card, and an IDE controller
> card, I need to have those 6 slots.  In fact, I would love 7, since I want
> to add another SATA card to do another RAID array.  However, the most I
> can find on any AM2 board is 4.  Any ideas?

Well, if building another backend and moving some of your capture
cards/drives there isn't an option you could use a socket AM2 SBC like
this one I found with google:
http://www.mpi.ch/products/industrial_computers/single_board_computer/full_size_board_sbc/ipcie690am2.html
.  Then put it in a rack mount box with an active backplane like one of
these: http://www.mpi.ch/index.php?id=200 .  I've seen PCI backplanes
with up to 14 PCI slots.  Not sure where you live this site isn't in the
US, but if you look I am sure you can find an equivalent (I just went to
the first link google returned).

HTH,
--
David