[mythtv-users] Tuner Card Selection Weirdness

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Feb 13 16:49:59 UTC 2008

Bruce Taber wrote:
> Can anybody make any rational sense out of how the cards are selected
> when using the 'Y' key on the latest version 15741 (from
> atrpms-bleeding). The same behavior was seen on the previous version
> (15447) as well.
>
> Here is the cardinput table:
> mysql> select cardinputid,cardid,displayname,preference,recpriority from
> cardinput order by cardid;
> +--------------+--------+----------------+--------------+-------------+
> | cardinputid | cardid | displayname | preference | recpriority |
> +--------------+--------+----------------+--------------+-------------+
> |                1 |          1 | B1A1T1      |                0 |
>           0 |
> |                2 |          2 | B1A2T1      |                0 |
>           0 |
> |                8 |          3 | B2A1T1      |                0 |
>          0 |
> |                3 |          4 | B1HD0        |                0
> |               0 |
> |                4 |          5 | B1DVB0      |               0 |
>          0 |
> |                5 |          6 | B1HD1        |                0 |
>            0 |
> |                9 |          7 | B2A2T1      |                0 |
>          0 |
> |                6 |          8 | B1A3T1      |                0 |
>          0 |
> |                7 |          9 | B1A4T1      |                0 |
>          0 |
> +--------------+---------+---------------+--------------+-------------+
> 9 rows in set (0.00 sec)
>
> B1A{1,2,3,4}T1 are PVR-250 installed in primary back end
> B1HD{0,1} are the tuners from an HDHomerun on the ethernet configured in
> the primary back end
> B1DVB0 is a pcHDTV5500 installed in primary back end
> B2A{1,2}T1 are the tuners from a PVR-500 installed in a slave back end
>
> With no recordings or other front ends running I am expecting to see the
> card B1A4T1 come up initially
> then B1A1T1, B1A2T1, B2A1T1, B1HD0, etc. The "Avoid conflicts between
> live TV and scheduled shows" is set as well as the "Allow live TV to
> move scheduled shows". It used to work so that the "Y" key selected the
> tuners down the table in cardid order since that is how the tuners were
> entered.
>
> But what is seen instead is this order: B1A4T1, B1HD0 and then B1A1T1,
> B1HD0. These last two are cycled between from then on. Exiting and
> restarting livetv restarts this cycle again.
> If there is another front end that is already using B1A4T1 the sequence
> starts at B1A3T1, cycles to B1HD0, and then loops on B1A1T1 and B1HD0.
> If there are recordings on B1A1T1, B1A2T1, and a front end on B1A4T1 the
> sequence starts at B1A3T1, cycles to B1HD0, and then loops on B2A1T1 and
> B1HD0.
>
> When I entered the tuners in mythtv-setup there was no additional setup
> [...]
Check that the start channels defined for each device are actually tunable on
that device. I came across something similar during my early experiments with
Mythtv. I had a situation where channels got moved and the starting one (as
defined in mythtv-setup) no longer existed. If I started there, and then 'Y'ed
to another tuner, it would then flip-flop between my remaining tuners, ignoring
the first one.

Mike Perkins