[mythtv-users] A paradigm shift is coming. Are you ready?

Lee Koloszyc teething12 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 13 15:10:48 UTC 2008

ryan patterson wrote:

> Am I missing something? I've been running 1080p HP playback with a
> 1.8Ghz CPU for over a year. I don't have to use use XvMC and I get
> perfectly smooth playback. Also I can use XvMC on my nvidia GPU and I
> don't have a black and white OSD during playback either.
> _____________
> Ryan Patterson

I know my Athlon 64 3000+ (1.8) with Nvidia 6200 no XVMC can do 1080i
playback  at about 70% CPU, which still allows it to record 1HD and 1SD
channel while playing back no problems.  As for 1080p, I have tried an
h.264 version of Terminator 2 and was unable to get it to play, CPU was
pegged at 100%.  This file did play on my Windows box with a 4200+ X2
and Radeon x1900, but it was still hammering the CPU.  The 720p version
played on my Mythbox without problems though.

 I guess it could depend on what compression was used on the 1080p
video, but I doubt an x264 video will play on the 1.8ghz CPU without a
lot of help from the video card.

Lee