[mythtv-users] iso to avi

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Feb 13 13:20:08 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 12:53:07PM +0100, F P wrote:
> I have a few DVDs backed up on my HD as .iso images.
> Now I'd like to convert them to DivX/XviD.
> How can I do it?
>
> The iso/DVDs contain different episodes and I'd like to convert them
> all, or even to convert the whole iso to an avi file which retains all
> dvd content, including menus (impossible, right? don't know anything
> on how a divx is done or what is capable of...).

    If you want the DVD menus then you have to stick with the DVD format.

    Most episodic content is mastered one episode per title. So you can
just rip each individual title. Something like "mplayer dvd://3 -dumpstream"
is a possible option.

    Once the individual titles are broken out, then you can convert each
one individually. That's easy enough to script. Just list them out and feed
that list into a loop that fires off a converter command for each member of
the list.

> If I must convert each episode by itself, is there a way to do it bilingual?

     Multiple language tracks in an avi? Dunno. Don't think so.

     Someone else might be able to correct me.

     Although other container formats (like quicktime and matroska) might
be better options in this regard.

     My avi rips are all single language.